Monday, December 04, 2006

Dreading Tomorrow

Dreading tomorrow. Charlie's first appointment since starting on the pump. Not sure if it will be me or Susanne who takes him into the room to have his blood drawn. We've taken turns in the past. Don't even know what's worse really. Either way it's absolutely horrible. Being the one holding him down with all your strength as he pleads, "No, Don't!!" and screams in an unfamiliar voice. A deep big boy voice that builds to a horrific roar.

Or being in the waiting room, powerless, absorbing the looks of sympathy from other moms and dads waiting their turn, as his cry stops time in the busy office for just a moment.

I've got nothing funny. Nothing witty. Just want it to be over with. I want it to be my arm on the table and not his. I want wings so I can scoop him up and fly far away from the hospital just before the needle meets his skin. I want to be driving home, promising him anything he wants. Anything!

12 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger George said...

poor kid, I still HATE having blood drawn. Good luck.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Carey, this post made me cry.

Children shouldn't have to deal with this stuff. They just shouldn't.

I hate this damnable disease.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Chops said...

Sending as much strength and light through the universe to you as I can muster...

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger mel said...

I remember those days. I'm hoping for a wonderful pediatric phlebotomist for you! Best of luck.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger In Search Of Balance said...

I'm so sorry you guys have to do this!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

It's completely heartwrenching and the worst part is that there's nothing we can do to save them from the pain.

I'm sure you'll have something special lined up to give him after the appointment....

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And I've got nothing wise or bright to say either, except, you and Susanne are amazing to be able to be there for your boy.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Carey,
You will find your strength tomorrow. I will be thinking of you, your family, and your day. Please let me/us know how it went.
Chris.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

Big Hugs to all of you. Our poor babies, what they endure, and that helpless feeling of not being able to fix it. Very familiar, your family will be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow, as every day.
Viv

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Good luck tomorrow!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

TOO SWEET. I really understand.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I trust everything went OK today. We were thinking of you up here. (canada not heaven;))
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home