Friday, May 04, 2007

There Was a Young Lad From PA

There's a great contest over at DIABETEStalkfest for funniest diabetes poem. I was very productive at work today.

There was a young lad from PA
Whose urine could fill a small bay
His mum feared the worst
When his insatiable thirst
Had him slurping from the bidet

When the doctors said he was Type 1
We all grew uncomfortably numb
We took the syringe
And together we cringed
As we plunged it right into his bum

His blood sugars have never been great
And we worry about Charlie's fate
But we don't need a cure
You see, my neighbor is sure
He'll outgrow the disease by age 8

My son wears a pump – Minimed
All these gadgets befuddle my head
I thought he was getting
A new basal setting
But I opened the garage door instead

But I tell you, this pump is premier
Its convenience I hold very dear
I just need to run
A cord through my son
And my TV comes in crystal-clear

I envision a day without shots
A diet of Skittles and Dots
And if he is high
There'll be no need to cry
It's just that he's smoking pot

There is a young lad from PA
Who hopes he'll be cured someday
He faces his plight
Like a brave Jedi Knight
And nothing will stand in his way

15 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

That was awesome!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger meanderings said...

I haven't read any of the others but yours is truly great. Nice job!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I loved every one of them! They're all really good. The last made me tear up...it reminded me so much of Brendon.

You are a clever lad indeed.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Brilliant my friend!!!!!!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Awesome!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'd laugh if I wasn't crying. Very well done limericks, my man!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Carey - this is way too awesome... every limerick is perfect. :)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Carey,

That had me both laughing and crying at the same time.

You should win the contest for sure.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

What a great limmerick. I like how despite the fact it's all about diabetes, there is humour littered through out the entire thing.

Very well written!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

That was funny. Until the last one. That one tugs at the heart a little. Great job!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger Johnboy said...

Love it!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Chops said...

You bring bidets, smoking pot, diabetes and Skittles together in such a poetic way.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Hey, thanks everyone!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Very clever indeed.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

That was great!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home