Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A New Glu


Step aside glucose and glucometer and glucagon. There's a new glu in town and its name is gluten.

We just learned that Susanne has Celiac disease. She'll be a glutton for gluten no more. We have spent the last few days scouring the Internet and buying books to see what she can eat and what she cannot.

Her body cannot metabolize gluten, resulting in malnutrition and a constant feeling of shittiness. To control this disease, she must eliminate all foods from her diet that contain gluten... FOREVER! Gluten is in almost everything. No bread. No beer. No fried foods. No pasta.

Susanne calls me at work.

"I'm never going to have pizza again. Never."

Sigh. "I know."

She calls again (2 minutes later).

"No hotdogs, no hamburgers, no sandwiches, no normal cereal."

Sure, there's gluten-free foods and Susanne has already been to Whole Foods. It seems the gluten-free foods are also yummy-free. It tastes like dirty rubber bands. The gluten-free foods are also very high in fat content and hard-earned dollars.

Looking at the bright side, algae, hemp, cowpea, mung bean and vodka is on the safe list for the gluten-free diet.

Susanne calls again with a much more serious tone.

"No more Christmas cookies. No more linzer tarts. No more double chocolate clusters."

Oh, gluten. This just got personal. If Susanne stops baking her cookies ... I will, I, I ... sorry. I just don't even want to imagine a world without Susanne's cookies.

What a pain in the gluteus!

If anyone out there is gluten-challenged or knows someone who is, I'd appreciate any decent recipes or tips on restaurants with gluten-free menus. I know of P.F. Chang's, Chili's and Outback Steakhouse. Thank you.

15 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey Carey,

Bummer. My dad struggles with Celiac disease too.

I understand it's also an immuno type condition too.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

There are seemingly lots of people in the OC who have Celiac. As a matter of fact, if you have type 1, you're more likely to get it...although it's not guaranteed of course.

One place to go is glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com

She seems to be the authority on what gluten free foods are really good to eat and gives all sorts of resources

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger ~M said...

Also check out glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com for some great product and recipe recommendations.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

After the initial shock wears off you will find the world is delicious again! I promise. My L is completely gluten free and has been eating quite merrily for five years! I see someone already told you about gluten free goddess - it's a good one. Also my pal who makes LOTS of yummy baked goods with alternative flours: http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/

Some fun things you still have: flourless chocolate cake; BACON; Filet Mignon; corn and/or brown rice cereal (but you have to check carefully for wheaty bear fillers); omlettes...chin up!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Oh Carey, tell Susanne I'm so sorry. That just sucks.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Scott - Thanks. Yeah, Charlie's risk for CD now increases to 25%.

Shannon, ~m, Poet - I'll definitely check out those blogs. Thank you. And yes Poet, thank goodness bacon is fair game.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks Penny.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

I'm not gluten free (at least not at the moment) and I like Gluten free brownies better than normal ones. They're made with rice flour.
You can make a lot of good things with rice flour.
Maybe this will be an opportunity to learn about new foods.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

I have a co-worker who has it and she said that the difference in feeling better was worth everything she gave up. Still, I know it's major suckage.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Rochelle said...

I know it is a shock at first, but there are lots and lots of delicious gluten-free foods out there, including bread, pizza, cookies, cakes and pasta. It definitely involves more cooking and a certain lack of spontaneity, but honestly, you can still eat really well. There are lots of on line resources, check out the Delphi Forum for good recipes, and some of the many gf blogs.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Laura K. said...

I still think I'd rather be shot

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you and your wife hang in there. I have been gluten-free for 25+ years. I am sure the initial shock of finding out you have Celiac Disease as an adult is frustrating, but there are tons of good gluten-free foods out there. The celiac blogging community is wonderful, hopefully that will give you some insight into products that are worth trying out.

Good luck

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Im sorry to hear this Carey. Life seems to be all about adjusting. You will of many people be able to adjust to this.
Stay positive (as you always do)
Chris

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Carey - coming out of lurkdom here ... I have CD as well and have been living with it for 8 yrs now. It is SO HARD in the beginning but it does become second nature in time. Yeah, some of the gluten free stuff does taste like rubber - but you learn that there are many things out there (healthy things) that you can eat (fruits, veggies, fish and meat, rice (brown rice, wild rice is really good). Eating out is a bit of a pain, but by contacting local restaurants, I've found they are usually more than happy to let you know which menu items are OK to eat.

Good luck to Susanne - it does get easier ... I promise.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

http://www.ourgaggleofgirls.com/recipes/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home