Tuesday, January 02, 2007

D-Tour: Something Other Than Diabetes

A few work friends and I traditionally share our "best of" CDs at the year's end. I thought I'd also share this with my new D-Blog friends and any other stragglers that may stumble upon Up High ... Down Low. I'm sure we don't all share the same musical taste, but this year's list is somewhat eclectic. A little something for everyone if you care to look into these artists a little further.

Charlie is partial to British pop and he would likely have gone with Keane's Under the Iron Sea. But then Gnarls Barkley came along with this ....



A string section of imperial officers? Stormtroopers on guitars? Chewy on the drums? Are you kidding me? Charlie went frickin' nuts.

I got Maeve her first real CD for Christmas. By real, I mean one that doesn't have princesses on the cover. I got her the Beatles' Red Album. Figured a great place to start. Susanne called me up at work my first day back after the holiday and told me that Maeve was sitting all alone on her bed with her little CD player, bopping her head up and down and coming in on the choruses of "Eight Days a Week." I admit I got a bit teary. She seems to have also inherited my father's knack for mangling song lyrics as much as song lyrics can be mangled. Obviously not a new release, but new to Maeve and a favorite of 2006.

Baby Ben hasn't expressed his fave of 2006, but the nipper likes to shake it to just about anything. I could have an asthma attack and he'd promptly do the robot.

6 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger In Search Of Balance said...

Great! I enjoyed The Crane Wife, too, and a few of them I don't recognize, so I'm off to look them up. I also saw on your profile that you like the Old 97's, whose early work I love.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sticking with Keane's UTIS!!!! Glad he's out of rehab now, and they're getting back on the road. I was supposed to see them in October at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley then they cancelled all the shows...Crystal Ball is one of the best songs of the year!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

PS: thanks for the tips on new music. I shall now promptly beginning downloading into iTunes.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Chops said...

I am absolutely crazy about Gnarls Barkley and now I have even more reason to be. Still grooving on Outkast even though it's not 'new'. Will look into your list. Happy 2007!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Music defines peoples lives. Music does make the world go round. Your eclectic range is quite deep and very interesting. From 4-9 for example. I do not know most of your list but i will be researching them in the next few days.
I would like to share my top 10 too. Emma has been so far been raised on music and not only Elmo either.
Take care
Chris

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Life at 50mg said...

Let's hope Maeve mangles the lyrics to "Black Swan"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home