Friday, December 08, 2006

Let 'em Laugh, Garden State


You know, New Jersey takes its fair share of hits. Hollywood has always enjoyed a cheap giggle at New Jersey's expense.

Chin up, New Jersey. Let all of those out-of-state travelers think you're just another exit on the New Jersey Turnpike. Let 'em think there's an irony in your "Garden State" moniker. Let 'em point in disgust at your smoke-billowing refineries and swampy Meadowlands. Just keep moving. Beautiful and quaint historic towns dotted along the Delaware river will be our little secret. Miles and miles of beaches and boardwalks. Atlantic City. Gorgeous farmlands. Some of the most brilliant minds in the world studying at Princeton University. Let 'em laugh.

OK, sure, some of the state is a little smelly. Yes, there is still a big hair epidemic in several northern counties. And sure, a couple of our cities are deemed the most dangerous to live in the nation. BUT ... my native state has once again made me proud in its commitment to stem cell research. Sniffle, sniffle. Thank you, New Jersey. You're my hero. See attached story.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=alKSE8.Qjn4I&refer=us

11 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Thanks for your shout out to good ole NJ!!

I was born and raised there and I am proud to say "I'm a Jersey Girl". (yes I had big hair!).

Now I'm off to read the article :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

One more thing, what exit off the Parkway did you live? I lived off 133 while I was in highschool (you get a prize if you can tell me what towns are listed on the exit sign).

Growing up, I lived in Sussex Cty.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Carey said...

hey, shannon. I was off of exit 9 on the turnpike. I'm not so much a Parkway guru and couldn't even guess what towns that might be. Very nice to meet a fellow, former big-haired Garden Stater.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Ah Exit 9. 133 isn't too far from there...I was exit 11 on the Turnpike :) Woodbridge....

I also went to college in South Jersey (Glassboro...now known as Rowan University).

I was spread thin across the state!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Carey said...

I covered many miles in my youth in the Woodbridge Mall. I grew up in East Brunswick.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Chops said...

It's good news that they are able to delegate that money for research. I hope it goes through the system unscathed.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the club New Jersey, welcome. to. the. club.

love,

California

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

I have never been to NJ but you make me want to visit.=) Thanks for the link to the article.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger AmyT said...

Hi Carey,
Welcome to the Diabetes OC! I just found you through the community site. I'm a mother of 3 myself, and a relative newbie at 4 yrs with the Big D.

Come visit me some time at www.diabetesmine.com.

Best of luck with your great new blog here!

- AmyT

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Carey,
I have always wanted to visit NJ. It is easily one of the top places for me to see before too long. I practice a Joisey accent on Sunday's.
I know exactly what you mean about the stigma about your city. Living in Winnipeg we get relatively the same thing here. But then for us there is always Saskatoon. HA. But my brother-in-law posted about our city not too long ago. Check it out. http://kenhodgert.blogspot.com/2006/11/winnipeg.html
I have been busy but have been reading blogs and i just wanted to say that your little dude is awesome and a very good lookin' little man. And i would say that it is easy to draw strenght from him.
Take Care
Chris

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Hey I grew up in NJ too! Not too far from Woodbridge, in Edison/Metuchen area.

Go NJ!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home