Tuesday, December 12, 2006

D-Tour: Something Other Than Diabetes

Every so often, I'd like to take a temporary diversion off the beaten path of diabetes. A slight break from pump talk, highs, lows, doctor visits, etc. It's likely that it will often be music-related. Here is the first installment of D-Tour.

Rodrigo y Gabriela is a young Mexican guitar duo who first met in a heavy metal band. Now, they've gone away from the electric guitars and focused more on their flamenco roots. They're also huge in Ireland of all places. Go figure. In this live performance, they cover Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. This song has been covered like a zillion times through the years, but trust me, this is not your 16-year-old brother clumsily eking out the first five bars of Stairway to Heaven on the banged up guitar your mom bought at a garage sale. It's on another level. Gabriela uses every bit of the guitar with rapid rhythms and percussion beats. Rodrigo's guitar work is scary good. This song is on their latest self-titled release. OK, enough buildup. Enjoy.



7 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I loved it. Thanks!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. You ain't lying. I don't even understand how those sounds are coming out of there! Thanks for sharing - I otherwise never would have heard this and it is amazing.

Incidentally, once you made up a little riff you called "brunch music" and that, along with the opening to "Set Sails Free" (which you also taught me) are the only things I remember whenever I pick up my little gee-tar to poke around!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Chops said...

This was a great vid. I LOVE classical & flamenco guitar. Their fingers dance across the strings more fluidly than a dancer herself. Amazing. Reminds me of why I took guitar lessons so many years ago. Unfortunately I'm still eeking out the first five bars of Stairway as clumsily as ever.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Amazing. I could be mistaken but i am sure i saw him/them on letterman, leno or something like that.
Simply awesome.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger whatnext said...

Yum!!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Wow.

This was fantastic, Carey. Simply amazing.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home