Friday, February 01, 2008

6


I didn't exactly have my 'A' game when Susanne started going into labor at about 11 pm.

"Carey! My water just broke! Call the hospital, pack your bags!," she urged from the bathroom.

"Wuh? OK," I told her slumberly as if I had been drugged, and then crashed right back to sleep.

[5 minutes later]

"Carey! Let's go. Did you call the hospital? Are you packed?"

"Wuh?"

"Carey! MY WATER BROKE!"

"Are you sure?"

"Carey!"

As the contractions got closer together in the 21st (yes, 21st) hour of labor, we watched TV as Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) went to the hospital for false labor on the show Friends. That was odd.

It was a really busy night in the hospital. Babies were popping out like crazy. Which could explain why, right in the middle of very intense pushing, the doctor and nurse simply dropped Susanne's legs and walked out of the room. Astonished, Susanne and I looked at each other like WTF? Was it something we said? When the next contraction came and the doctor and nurse still hadn't returned, I took matters into my own hands. I lifted Susanne's leg and did as the doctor was doing.

"OK Susanne. Push and hold it. Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, twoooooooooooooooooo, threeeeeeeeeeee."

We never got to four. We burst into laughter and Susanne told me to please stop.

After 22 hours of labor, I had me a baby boy. We had us a Charlie.

Happy 6th Birthday, Charlie!

11 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Hey! Happy Birthday, Charlie. My fellow Februarian. Wow, 6.

My birthday is tomorrow and Brendon's is on the 4th.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

Well then, Happy 6th Birthday Charlie!!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Happy Birthday, Charlie! Plenty of birthdays in the blogosphere this month ... Charlie, Shannon, and me! :)

Here's to many, many more.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Charlie!

And don't forget to add me to that list - the 13th!

I like to think we were Mother's Day presents for our moms - you do the math!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Happy Birthday, Charlie!!

Carey, I love birth stories-- and this was really a fun one. Thanks for sharing it. :-)

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Happy birthday little Charlie boy!!

(You can add another great person's b day to the February list. Holden's birthday is on the 5th.)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks everyone for your kind birthday wishes. Charlie can't wait for his party.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Chops said...

Happy Birthday Charlie! Hope you have an awesome time at the magic shop.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger George said...

Happy Birthday Charlie! Your Dad rocks!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Everyone needs a Charlie!
Happy Birthday my friends.
By the looks of it someone can start a February birthday OC (over the top eh?). We will add another member to that club too...hopefully in the next hour or two because there is nothing on tv and im bored at the moment and looking for something to do. Apparantly June was not a boring month for most.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Happy birthday Charlie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home