Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dream a Little Dream of Dead Sharks

Thank you to those who offered their support and suggestions in what was the worst 48 hours of high blood sugars we've experienced with Charlie since just after diagnosis. I'm thrilled to report that things are back to normal. And of course by normal I mean 50 percent of the day in range, 25 percent high and 25 percent low. I suppose we'll never really know why it happened. Although, we're keeping a close eye on his poop. Recent suspicions have floated to the surface. (Sorry, couldn't resist. What's wrong with me. Filthy animal).

Anyway, on to the dead sharks. In the second night of horrible highs, Susanne and I were up all night checking his blood sugar, checking level of ketones and correcting. In the midst of this awfulness, I did manage to get intermittent sleep between the hours of 4 am to 6 am.


I dreamt I was in a car trying to get home. The road cut right through a large body of water, so I had water all around me. Up ahead was a large obstacle in the middle of the road. From the distance it looked like a mountain. I approached it to realize it was indeed a mountain. A mountain of dead sharks and killer whales. Hundreds and hundreds of dead sharks piled on one another with their menacing mouths agape. Trying not to drive on the dead sharks, I drove along the side of the mountain at an impossible angle, defying gravity, where a narrow strip of sand met the water. And then I awoke.


The dead sharks was a jarring image, like a mass grave. I think I even stepped outside of the dream for a moment and said, "holy shit!" We've talked about dreams before. Why did I dream this? Why did I create such an image? Is it related to what was going on with Charlie? Or was it the result of the acid I dropped earlier that evening? Any thoughts? Any theories?

11 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Chops said...

No clue about the sharks, other than the regret you might have of the catch taken at your bachelor party.

As for the highs and lows, I am glad they are back to 'normal'. Hoping they stay more stable from here on in.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

A. What the hell was in his poop to raise suspicions?

B. Maybe the sharks were a manifestation of your feeling overwhelmed by the viciousness of diabetes. OR, you could've overdone it with the acid hit.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Glad to hear things are back to normal.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

I'm with Shannon. I think it was the acid hit. You really need to leave that alone. :-)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

And, I'm also glad that things are doing better.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks. And today is even better. Phew!

Shannon, he's has a couple BMs in the last week or so of the extraterrestrial variety. Like nothing I've ever seen. Color and texture very strange. I'm trying hard not to go into disgusting detail. A Google search came back with a pretty close description of what we saw in the toilet. Condition? Celiac disease. Not jumping to conclusions. Kust keeping an eye on it.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Because I have the tendency for morbid curiosity and because I have 3 kids whose poo I study on a daily basis, what was extraterrestrial about it?

If it ever came out in my own kids' poo, I'd like to know if it's something to worry about.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Carey said...

OK, Shannon. You asked.

It's a light tanish, orangish, membrane-looking thing. Basically the color of your standard vomit. Kind of looked like some sort of organ that scientists keep in jars.

It's clumpy but not firm. Small clusters that float to the surface have a strange stringy quality - like small spiders.

The taste sort of reminded me of ...

I kid. Sorry. I'm disgusting.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

He WAS sick at the time. So now that he's on the mend, see how it is.

I've really got to leave this subject alone, LOL.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Carey,

Your description of poop is superb. But, the taste thing had me dry-heaving a bit.

Maybe it was the ketones causing all the poopage problems???? Here's hoping.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Bernard said...

We've had children with poo(p) problems. In both cases it was lactose intolerance and lactaid with milk or cheese has resolved it completely. Though I don't think this what you have.

As for dropping acid. I had to give that up. I played havoc with my BGs. Plus the shark dreams were terrible.

(Only kidding).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home