Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Courtesy and Coconuts


Courtesy: Given or done as a polite gesture;Willingness or generosity in providing something needed.

I just went out in the torrential rain to drop off JDRF canisters at a supermarket near my office. The woman behind the courtesy desk was "having one of those days," she said to anyone who walked by.

She wasn't pleased from the get-go. She interrogated me on whether I had permission to have the store collect donations. She complained that the lack of lids on the canisters would be a problem. A quick call to corporate cleared me, but she kept a suspicious eye on me as she hung up the phone. Her irony as office manager of the courtesy desk was outstanding.

I thanked her and walked away but not before hearing her say "this sucks!" as she carried the stack of canisters to the back room.

No. I'll tell you what sucks. Having a child with diabetes. That sucks. Testing your child this morning before leaving for school and seeing a blood sugar of 598. That sucks. All because he was excited to go to library for the first time in his life. He gets excited and potentially damages his organs. Yeah, I'd say that sorta sucks.

If I only I had the buy one get one free, clubcard member, 3-day sale, Florida fresh coconuts to tell her this.

6 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Your post made me very angry on your behalf. She sucks.

I don't want Charlie to be dealing with this. Today is my 21st anniversary with diabetes and I don't have the Florida fresh coconuts to face that today.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

That woman has no class whatesoever.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Geez, Kerri. 21 years. Sorry if I brought you down further today. Sigh.

Yeah, Shannon. That was pretty clear. Can't be good karma.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Carey - You didn't bring me down. Not at all. I just don't like marking these milestones sometimes. I know it's good to be marking them in good health and all that uplifting sort of stuff, but it's tiring. I'm tired today.

However, I did have the lovely mental image of throwing coconuts at the woman you had to deal with. They hit her square in the face. Much improved mood. ;)

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Carey: I know just what you mean. Incidentally, Chops sent me this link this morning, which is that whole cranky courtesy desk lady in a nutshell:

This I believe

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this post, and all the others. I just started reading your blog today thanks to Blogabetes. Your kids are adorable. Really precious. I'm sorry for Charlie and all the other kids who are dealing with such things at such tender young ages. I've forgotten much of my childhood, actually, though most of it was spent with type 1. Strange. Big chunks are gone. I'm glad you're kinda documenting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home