Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Spare a Buck?

Hi. Our team, Charlie's Angels, is gearing up for our fourth JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes. In three walks, we've done very well, raising more than $50,000. Please see our letter over at www.charliewalk.blogspot.com.

I must say, though, asking people to donate money is not much fun. It tends to get very awkward at times despite the fact that it's for such a good cause. It's difficult to seek money from friends who contribute so generously year after year.

It forces us to try new things. Get a little creative. I wanted to do a baby olympics fundraiser, but a doping scandal put an end to that. Lawn dart tournament (with syringes) flopped miserably and not one person signed up for the "Fix my Gutters and Paint my House for Diabetes." People accused me of having ulterior motives.

So, in trying to avoid the awkwardness, I'm attempting a little experiment. How about a buck? One dollar? One franc? One krone? Strength in numbers, right? If you do choose to donate, it must be one dollar, not a penny more. I'm serious. Must be one dollar. If you attempt to give more than one dollar, your diabetes license will be revoked and you will be removed from my tudiabetes "my friend" list for at least thirteen business days. No, that wouldn't be a good thing!

Thank you so much.

5 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I hear you on the awkwardness of asking for money. As the years went on, my collection has dwindled.

Those other ideas you had were definitely ones that look good on paper, but otherwise, I can see why they flopped.... ;)

I'll wait to see how your dollar idea works out before I set out to emulate it.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Carey, you fully understand that there is money out there. And i commend (that is a good word right dont forget i was edumacated in the Ukraine.) the fact that you are being creative in your ways to extract Charlies share.
I had some sort of idea like that too. This year we had 40 walkers on our team. I think we were the 3rd largest team. Embarassing enough we did not raise the amount we should have according to me.
Starting NOW i am recruiting walkers for next June. With no exceptions for each walker to raise $100.00 each.
I dont care if they are 6 years old. If school kids can raise thousands of dollars to go on ski trips and to europe, fuck it, if they can raise 100 bucks for emma.
So 40 walkers X 100$ = umm...err...like 600$. Wow eh?
GOOD JOB MY FRIEND!!
We are very lucky to have you on our side.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Shannon: May not want to copy my idea just yet. At this rate, Hope for Hannah and Justin's Jaywalkers are kicking my ass.

Chris: Commend is a good word. Well done. Well spelled. Thanks. You're absolutely right. We should perhaps focus are attention not only on a cure for diabetes. We should take a stand against European ski trips. What kind of message does European ski trips send to our children? Just say no!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I think there should be a friendly competition amongst us to see who can raise the most money.

And who would name their team after an illegal act? Jaywalking should not be glorified.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Carey,

What did you and Susanne do to raise 50 Grand????? Give me some pointers, please :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home