Monday, July 09, 2007

The Auction

So we hosted our first auction fundraiser for juvenile diabetes at the house on Saturday. Sorry, I didn't even take one photo. Shameful. Too busy running around, filling mimosas, etc.

One of our contributions to the auction was an old 1960s-ish child's school desk. The old desk had been collecting dust in our basement for years. Finally an opportunity to do something with it. I pulled hundreds of pounds of boxes off of it. Walked through layers and layers of cobwebs. Came very close to killing myself lugging the extremely heavy desk up the basement stairs ...

only to have my son bid for it and win it for 8 bucks.

Unfortunately, no one had the balls to outbid the kid with diabetes at a diabetes fundraiser. Cowards! Even after our auctioneer (my friend Mike) embellished the item, declaring it a desk used on the set of Little House on the Prairie.

Great day though. It was a small invite-only gathering of friends and family yet we still raised about $800 for JDRF.

And I bought this awesome desk!

5 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Excellent tactic with the mimosas. People loosen up and become more generous when they're drunk.

LMAO at Charlie outbidding everyone with a measly $8. He must've been so proud to have won like that. That's the cutest thing.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Just think, one day you can put that desk in a place of honor in your house with a sign on it that says "This desk helped cure diabetes."

I think it's neat Charlie bid on the desk himself.

Congrats on the money you raised.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Good buy Carey (Charlie). I always thought you had an eye for value of old worn out things(refer to hat two posts ago).
I think i am going to have to step up next year in term of fundraising. I will look back on this post to get isnpired.
Good job on the 8 bills!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

I couldn't stop laughing about the desk!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

That is SO FUNNY about the desk! Great stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home